Are you motivated by using your image analysis skills to drive scientific R&D in drug discovery and are seeking a role where your expertise can make an extraordinary impact? This is an opportunity to join a dynamic and enthusiastic environment, whilst delivering critical support to drug discovery projects.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) and data science methods are transforming all sectors and industries. In the Data Sciences and Quantitative Biology department, within Discovery Sciences, we are combining these methods with domain knowledge and biological expertise to make life-changing medicines and change patients' lives. Join a place built on innovation and creativity!
We are looking for a Senior Data Scientist in Image Analysis to join our team at our vibrant AstraZeneca R&D site in Gothenburg, Sweden. This position is located within the Data Sciences & Quantitative Biology department - a global, diverse and delivery focused department where we collaborate to support drug projects striving to impact patients' lives.
As a Senior Data Scientist in Image Analysis, you will be focusing at the early stages of drug discovery, working with imaging assays (2D, 3D, complex models, kinetics, etc) and analysing cellular images captured with microscopes (fluorescently stained or bright field samples). You will develop and apply image and data analysis methods to answer biological questions, from tailored to high throughput experiments. You are able to seek opportunities and influence at all levels, from lab biologists to business leaders, and engage externally via publications and conference presentations. We expect you to be equipped with modern image processing methods in image segmentation, pattern recognition and other machine learning and AI methods.
What you will do
You will be working closely with experimental and biological colleagues, in the design, application and interpretation of image processing algorithms and downstream data processing projects. You will be primarily working with cellular images captured under wide-field and confocal microscopes (fluorescent stained or bright field); nonetheless, you may also support image processing tasks from other image modalities when opportunities arise. Typical tasks include image segmentation, quantification, enhancement, reconstruction, clustering and classifications. In addition, you will be working closely with biologists, chemists and scientists from other disciplines, and you will need to communicate quantitative concepts and data to non-experts in a clear and concise way to enable and influence decision-making. Given the interdisciplinary nature of this role, you are also expected to have some understanding of, or the interests to learn about, cell biology and cellular screening workflows.
* Use image and data analytical methods, to work with drug discovery projects and therapeutic areas to identify and deliver solutions for addressing key biological questions
* Build and internalise algorithms and techniques to define and answer questions using suitable software packages from in house developed tools, open source packages and/or commercial vendor software
* Ensure that results are scientifically robust
* Communicate your work to non-experts and business leaders to move projects forward and influence decision-making
* Discover and define gaps in data and knowledge for ongoing projects, extract internal/external data and methods, and work with discipline specialists to fill the gaps
* Contribute to and lead local and global projects
* Promote AstraZeneca's image and data analysis capabilities and reputation through external publications and presentations
Essential for the role
* B.Sc., Masters or PhD or equivalent in a relevant field (computer science, electronics, electrical engineering, physics, mathematics or equivalent) with relevant experience
* Image processing knowledge and experiences in such as image segmentation, classification, clustering, enhancement and reconstruction
* Mathematics and data science knowledge and experience of using and applying either machine learning (deep learning), statistical modelling or multivariate profiling methods to analyse image data
* Interest in or basic understanding of cell biology
* Skilled in Python (TensorFlow/Keras, PyTorch), R, MATLAB or other relevant programming languages
Desirable for the role
* Experience in working with large quantities of image data
* Experience in combining image data with other data modalities
* Experience in working with 3D,temporal image and/or other complex image data.
* Hands on experience with microscopic software and hardware such as CellProfiler, ImageJ/FIJI, PerkinElmer's Columbus, Yokogawa's CV7000/CV8000
* Working with biologists in an experimental and cellular-screening environment
* Interests and experiences in assay development and experimental design using statistical tools and methods
Why AstraZeneca Gothenburg?
Our Gothenburg site is one of AstraZeneca's three strategic R&D centres. Here, you'll feel a global atmosphere in a multinational environment. Collaboration comes in all forms - across teams, functions, countries and even companies. With more than 2,400 employees from over than 50 countries, our vibrant Gothenburg site is a truly inspiring place to work.
So, what's next?
Send in your application as soon as possible, but no later than the 9th of August 2022. We will review applications continuously.